2010年5月24日 星期一

Books, films and soundtracks

I’m not sure whether I’m entitled to call myself a book lover, but I do enjoy reading very much. I keep lots of books at home, ranging from Japanese comics to HKCEE Mathematics past paper. You may wonder why I keep Mathematics past paper at home. Well, it’s all for work – haven’t I told you that I’m an experienced Maths tutor? I’ve taught this subject for over ten years!

Now back to books. Here’s a list of authors whom I admire. Let’s see if we have similar taste:

o    George Orwell (His Nineteen Eighty-Four is a must-read!)

o    W. Somerset Maugham (His short stories are terrific!)

o    Tim Harford (author of The Logic of Life and The Undercover Economist)

o    董橋 (How I love his 英華沉浮錄!)

o    蔡東豪 (He’s such a handsome guy! I was so sorry to learn that he’s already married with a kid …)

o    亦舒 (She has published near 300 books, mostly love stories with occasional sci-fi and detective stories.)

o    林行止 (Hey, I’m a top fan of the Hong Kong Economic Journal!)

o    喬志高 (He complied A New Dictionary of Idiomatic American English.)

In fact, the list is endless, so I’d better stop here, or I won’t have space for the other two topics …

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

I became a film addict about ten years ago. I didn’t know what triggered my love for films – the two cinemas near the place I worked? Or the low ticket price (only HK$35) then? Anyway, I just love watching films!

I don’t have a book I particularly like (The books I read are all very good!), but I do have a favourite film: La Meglio Gioventù (aka The Best of Youth). It’s a six-hour film about an Italian family, and I watched it five times. It sounds crazy, but I felt so good watching it!

At first, I was only interested in the plot of a film. But a few years ago, I started paying attention to the soundtrack, and I fell in love with the music. My favourite one is Vier Minuten (aka Four Minutes, a German film about a musically-talented young woman). Both the music and the film are powerful. I also like listening to Korean drama soundtracks; the music is so soft and romantic!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That’s all for now. Through the books I read, the films I watch, and the music I listen to, I hope you would have a better understand of who I am. Thank you for your patience.

6 則留言:

  1. It is very interesting to read such introduction about yourself, expecially it is in English. 
    You are definitely a book addict, thank you for the book list that you've loved and I will look for the books and read them too, because I am too lazy in searching for good books for myself.
     
     
    [版主回覆05/29/2010 20:53:00]雲兒: I don't have much time to read books these days because of the extremely heavy workload. I prefer reading newspapers. The HKEJ has a new column called 獨眼新聞 which is very entertaining!

    回覆刪除
  2. You are a cultured woman
    [版主回覆05/29/2010 20:55:00]Thank you for the compliment, Teacher . I wish I could have time to read more books. So many good books on the bookshelf waiting for me ...

    回覆刪除
  3. I'm going to look for the DVD of Vier Minuten to see why you love it so much (actually I looked for it but failed ) ~~  
    [版主回覆05/29/2010 20:58:00]暖暖: I saw the DVD in HMV once. The marked price is $300 something, extremely expensive!
    The soundtrack of the film is really nice. You can buy one at bc in YMT.

    回覆刪除
  4. Of the 3 English ones, I only read 1984, when I was 10th grade (comparable to Form IV here), in 1967.  I wrote my report defending the totalitarian gov't.  My English teacher didn't like that at all.
     
    By the way, what about Orwell's Animal Farm?
    [版主回覆05/30/2010 08:57:00]Of course I've read Animal Farm, such a classic! I'd love to re-read the two books because I've forgotten most of the details in them.
    You wrote a report defending the totalitarian gov't? May I know why?

    回覆刪除
  5. ...because I was a rebelleous type who thought it was cool to take the contrarian view.
    [版主回覆06/05/2010 20:08:00]I was rebelleous too. I refused to read the Harry Potter series when our tutor insisted that we should all read it :p

    回覆刪除
  6. 我也很喜歡閱讀, 但與你的名單不同。(相同的只有亦舒。現在才首次看董橋。一九八四也看了, 不過是skip來看的。反而<<美麗新世界>>全本看完--因為是讀書時的課外讀物) 你介紹的The Best of Youth, 我剛看了, 很好看。其實我們會追電視, 只要將之當做電視劇, 便不會覺得長。 你說想去歐洲旅行, 其實我剛去完回來, 是你post照片的布拉格呢! 因我回來後”五癆七傷”,在家休息時便開The Best of Youth來看。最初不明白M為何要如此做,但後來代入他的角度去想,竟也有點明白。我有時也像他那樣,將感情收起來,明明對家人/朋友有點內疚,卻又不去行動。 整套電影令我感到很溫馨,也有感動的地方,明白你為何看了五次。謝謝你的介紹! 我幾個月前在HMV買的, 有折(買兩套DVD有折扣的那種優惠)。
    [版主回覆06/05/2010 20:06:00]芝:《美麗新世界》我也有看,是大學時某科的指定讀本,不過感覺始終不及《1984》深刻。
    The Best of Youth 原本是意大利一齣迷你電視劇,之後才搬上大銀幕的,所以連OST也沒出
    每次在電影中看見M,總覺得心酸。今次芝提起,忽然想起富士康的亡魂......
    不客氣,喜歡便好

    回覆刪除